Iman family notes

kmap

Eyman Burials

On the north side of Long Lane at the site of Postlewait's Tavern is the Fehl's Farm with its small private cemetery of early settlers in the Conestoga area. Among the gravestones are those for two Christian Eymans, and one wife, Susanna. It's believed by some that Ulrich Eyman may have been buried here in an unmarked grave. Eymans had a 76 acre farm, perhaps across the road, which was sold by the estate of the Christian Eyman who died in 1834.

ü     Eyman, Christian died 10-6-1822 – aged 82

ü     Eyman, Christian died 9-6-1834 – aged 74

ü     Eyman, Susanna died 3-1-1826 aged 54

The Postlethwait's Property was at least until recently owned by George J. Fehl. John's Postlethwait's Tavern -- The Tavern, was an important public house in the Indian trading region near Conestoga.  John Postlethwaite invited the first court to meet here, beginning Aug. 5, 1729.  The first case brought to trial was a thief, who was sentenced...to be publicly whipped on his bare back. John Postlethwait and Mary, his wife, owned five tracts of land at this place, on which he loaned, from the trustees of the loan office (Charles Norris, Thomas Leech, Mahlon Kirkbride, Francis Yarnell, and John Wright) on the 15th day of October, 1742, a certain sum of money, payable in installments, and gave a "blanket" mortgage on these five tracts, about five hundred and fifty acres. Being unable to meet his payments by virtue of an act of Assembly in such cases made and provided, the loan commissioners sold the properties in June, 1756, for five hundred and two pounds.

The property was bought by Joseph Pugh with the approbation of the loan commissioners, who instructed him to convey the several properties to such parties as the children of John Postlethwait might direct and to whom they undoubtedly had made sales previously, although the act of Assembly required the mortgage to be foreclosed. It is evident, from the manner in which this unpleasant duty was performed, that Mr. Postlethwait was held in the highest esteem by them."

"Andrew Fehl came from Wutemberg in September, 1749, and first settled in Manor township. He moved into Conestoga township in 1764, and purchased the property that still remains in the Fehl family. He had two sons, Jacob and Andrew. Jacob became the next owner of the farm, and after him his son Jacob, who was the father of Jacob Fehl, Esq., who was a justice of the peace for Conestoga township for over thirty years. This same property is now in possession of George J. Fehl, one of Jacob, Esq.'s sons, his other sons, Samuel L. and Albert, residing close by the old homestead. It was on this farm that the first Court of General Quarter Sessions was held while owned by John Postlethwait, and has now been in the Fehl family over one hundred and twenty years."

 

POSTLETHWAITE'S HISTORY

This 1908 discussion points out the centrality of this location to the history of Lancaster County. It helps to discern the connections between the Fehl Farm cemetery in which Eymans were buried and one at Postlethwaite's itself, which seems to have contained dignigaries and the unmarked stones of Mennonite farmers as well. The building lower right may have been on Herr/Eyman land which descended to Warfel though the historical account suggests a density somewhat inconsistent with the 78 acre size of the Eyman plot as described in tax assessments. There is much for Eyman searchers to understand and learn.

 

SUMMER 2009 UPDATE:

Driving Long Lane of Conestoga in May of 2009, one finds that all is well at Postlethwaite's! Well maintained by a couple whose names are Harnish and Fehl, one is reminded of a presentation to the Lancaster Historical Society to be linked below where the commentator noted the extent to which the original Swiss and German names from the early 1700s remained consistently with the properties and neighborhoods well into the 19th Century;-)

Directly to the West of the Postlethwait's property is a farm described by the early 1900s article as being owned by a Warfel. Interestingly, Christian Eyman's lands on Long land were sold in 1835 at the dissolution of his estate to a Warfel. In the article below there is speculation that this very spot had once been a far more developed center, and that on the Warfel lands had been found evidence of prior log structures. In fact in 1798, the land where Christian Eyman resided was described in a special tax asssessment of log construction with 13 windows about about 1300 square feet. Eyman was described in those Conestoga listings as a tenant of Christian Herr. The Herr family had owned considerable land in Conestoga from the earliest period, though their involvement in this particular site has not been verified.

Postlethwaite's 2009

postlethwaite

Directly west of Postlethwaite's Tavern:

warfel

========